August 13, 2010

Does Nice Really Matter?

Today was one of those days! I had a little meltdown, luckily I was alone.

Pressure has been building. We put in a bid on a house two months ago. It has been, without a doubt, a very stressful, roller coaster of experiences, bad deal. I never like to accept that I have failed at something. I never like to "not" get my way. However, it was time to say it just is not meant to be.

Josh always sees the glass half full. He is my Positive Polly.

When I had my meltdown I started thinking of how I should look at the house experience, through a positive rose colored glass. I learned a lot. I learned that even when the house appraises for the amount it needs to, even when you are approved for the loan, it can still fail. I learned that my friends and family give me support even when they probably do not think it is the best idea. I met a wonderful mortgage broker, and learned a lot from her. {Thank you to my real estate agent, Mandi Simeon.}

Was the house deal the only spark that caused the meltdown? Absolutely not.

I am a list maker, a cross off the list, must feel accomplished kind of person. This week as I quickly realized that this is the "last week" before school, I saw a full to-do list left. That makes me feel anxious, nervous, and a weird feeling that I cant describe.

Josh heard me talking to my friend Regina, who is also a teacher, we were talking about how sad we were that summer was over and how we wished that summer still had time left. My Positive Polly, Josh, chimed in "man sure must be tough to work 187 days a year, must be tough to go back after 2 1/2 months off." So again, I was quickly reminded to see the glass half full.

There are so many things that can cause panic, stress, heart ache and even tears, but in the end there is a much bigger picture.
I am blessed to work with one of my ex-teachers, Kathy Smith. She always says "Nice Matters." Sometimes (like after two months and $2,000 spent on trying to get a house, you question if nice really matters). It does!

I have been reading a blog called "operation nice" for the past year. The blog encourages individuals to be proactively nice. My goal is to attempt to do "34 random acts of kindness this year for my 34th birthday." So on August 31st I will begin. {got the idea from this blog.} Operation Nice!

1 comment:

Pink Ice Princess said...

I just love your blogs! I am so glad you are feeling better about the situation. We all have them and they are different but we react in similar ways to a sense of "defeat." But don't look at it that way, yes you were right it was a lesson. There is something greater in store for you right around the corner. Just keep serving others as you have!