July 27, 2010

Mercy Hospital

When I first started taking pictures, one of my favorite places was the old Mercy Hospital in downtown Liberty. Old red brick, stairs, and unique doors. A couple of times I would inch my way into the abandoned building. However, I was always too scared to tour the entire facility.

Once the City of Liberty and Liberty County found out that people were trespassing in the unsafe structure, they boarded up the windows and doors with ugly plywood. Since this (and several other photographers discovered my place) I stopped taking pictures at this wonderful location.

A little fact: Mercy Hospital is where my dad was born.

A little "second" fact: I wanted to transform the building into loft apartments. However, the building had asbestos and would have cost a small fortune to save.

Information from KSHN:
Mercy Falling: It was around 3 p.m. yesterday when the first portions of the old Mercy Hospital came tumbling down. With many local’s in the Methodist Church parking lot keeping watch, a large piece of excavation equipment began pulling the original part of the hospital in on itself, with plans to have it and the larger red brick portion on the ground by the end of this week. An unknown water main was discovered when the excavation unit hit it, sending a geyser into the air as high as the elevator tower on the hospital. City of Liberty water department had already capped what they thought was the water line and pulled the meter, but over 60 some odd years, apparently another water line had been forgotten.

No comments: