September 11, 2008

Hurricane Ike

Dear Hurricane Ike,

You have caused me to panic! You have caused me tears, uneasy feelings, and I am fearful--and you are not even here!

Please go away!!!


I have been watching this storm since Sunday! We were told yesterday around five p.m. that school would be released until Monday. Yes--I did start to panic.

I got on the Internet and anxiously started the hotel search. Every town I searched--read "sorry no availability." Okay--now what? I thought what a great time for a mini vacation. I found great weekend vacations to Atlanta, Maryland, and Philadelphia. I called my parents--they declined my wonderful idea. I called Josh--he declined my mini vacation. So....now what?

Around 10:45 p.m. the news announced that the storm turned closer to us. I jumped in my car and headed to the local Wal-Mart (and so did everyone else.) I got home and started packing. I had no idea where I was headed--but I knew I wanted the heck out of Liberty County.

Well--here it is 2:15 p.m. and we are STILL sitting and watching the news! The family does not want to get stuck in traffic. (During Hurricane Rita we were stuck in the car for 22 hours straight) (it was miserable). Henry, the cat, is the other reason we are hesitant to leave. We are fearful that he would have another seizure while sitting in traffic.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo....
I am stuck in this place that has lots of trees and a history of flooding. I am going to keep trying to convince my family to leave. (wish me luck).

2 comments:

Connie said...

Hi Amanda! Wow, how scary. I will pray for your family and please keep us up to date. I will keep an eye on the news. You can come hang out with us here in WA!

michelle peek said...

Hey Amanda,

We are also staying right here in The Woodlands because the highways are jam packed. If the power is out for a long period we may leave.

Hope you stay safe.
Michelle Peek